Savvy Search Our Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Saint Patrick’s Day Rainbow Cupcakes

Pin It

Superstar and I enjoyed a frosty cold day indoors baking up these fun Saint Patrick’s Day rainbow cupcakes. My two little leprechauns were over the rainbow with excitement. I am happy to report that they did find their pot of gold—details coming soon.

Ingredients:
White cake mix (18.25 oz)
Food coloring (red, yellow, green, and blue)
Baking cups
Frosting



Directions:
Prepare the cake mix according to the package instructions. Divide the batter into 7 small bowls. I put ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons into each bowl. Add food coloring to each bowl and mix to create the colors of the rainbow. I have seen other recipes for this cupcake that only include purple and don’t include both indigo and violet. It is just my personal preference to use every opportunity to educate my kids. We made a true rainbow.

Red: 19 drops red
Orange: 12 drops yellow and 4 drops red
Yellow: 12 drops yellow
Green: 12 drops green
Blue: 12 drops blue
Indigo: 9 drops blue and 4 drops red
Violet: 9 drops red and 6 drops blue

Line a cupcake pan with baking cups. Evenly distribute the batter among the baking cups, starting with violet on the bottom and ending with red on the top. I used a rounded teaspoon per color, per cupcake. Savvy Tip: I sprayed the teaspoon with cooking spray so the batter spooned more easily into the baking cups, then I gently spread the batter with the back of the spoon until it covered the color underneath. Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes. Cool and frost. The recipe was supposed to yield 16 cupcakes, but I only got 12.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...